Nut free, lactose free option, dairy free option, soy free, egg free option, vegetarian
As I’ve recently started full time work, I’ve started looking for some new snacks for either mid-morning (when lunch time hunger creeps in a bit early) or as an afternoon pick-me-up (when the lethargy kicks in).
I found this recipe for delicious bran muffins. The mixture goes a long way (I halved the recipe and it made about 15-20 muffins) and is really quick and easy to make. The smell of the muffins baking is to-die for and the taste is pretty damn good.
So here goes:
- 1 packet of Bran Flakes (350g)
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 5 teaspoons of bicarbonate soda
- 2x 500ml carton of buttermilk. This can also be replaced with lactose free yoghurt or soy yoghurt. For a half recipe, I used 3x 140g tubs of vanilla lactose free yoghurt
- 1 cup oil (I used olive oil)
- 5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- Optional – 2 cups raisins/sultanas
- Mix all the dry ingredients together
- Separately, mix the oil, eggs and buttermilk/yoghurt together
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients
- Pour into muffin tray
- Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes at 200°
Share your creations on our Instagram page – @allergianabroad !