Nut free, lactose free option, dairy free option, soy free, vegetarian, egg free option
Who doesn’t love a good chocolate chip muffin? My boyfriend loves it so much that I made him a giant chocolate chip CAKE for his birthday.
Here’s what you need:
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk of your choice – I use Zymil lactose free milk
- 1/3 cup oil (I use olive oil)
- 1 egg (or replacement egg)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Chocolate chips – I cheat on my lactose intolerance and use Nestle milk choc bits (they are deeeelicious!), but you can get dairy free choc chips (eg Sweet William choc chips)
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- Combine the milk, oil, beaten egg and vanilla essence and pour into the centre of the dry ingredients.
- Mix well (do not beat).
- Add choc chips to taste (I use about ¾ of the Nestle packet) but the more the merrier (in my opinion).
- Pour contents into the muffin tray or cake tin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes on 180°, or until ready.
These are delicious when eaten hot, so have them straight from the oven or re-heat in the microwave for about 10 seconds to melt the choc chips!
For reference, in the image above, this recipe was doubled and made the cake, as well as about 6 medium-sized muffins.