Nut free, dairy free, lactose free, soy free, vegetarian, vegan
This is by far my favourite dessert of all time. Given all my allergies, there aren’t too many delicious dessert options, so I’ve grown up eating my mum’s (Jackie’s) self-saucing hot chocolate pudding. And boy is it gooood. How can something that is nut free, dairy free and soy free taste so damn delicious? Go on, give it a try. It’s pretty easy to make too!
1 cup self-raising flour
2 tablespoons cocoa
30 grams butter or margarine
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup soy milk / lactose free milk / cow’s milk / rice milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
¾ cup white sugar
¾ cup brown sugar
¼ cup cocoa
1¾ cup hot water
Instructions for cake:
- Sift flour, salt and cocoa.
- Add white sugar and mix well.
- Stir in milk, vanilla and melted butter/margarine.
- Mix until smooth.
- Spread evenly into a greased dish.
Instructions for sauce:
- Combine brown sugar and sifted cocoa.
- Sprinkle over the top of the pudding.
- Pour the hot water over the top (I usually add the water gradually as otherwise it often overflows – add a cup at first, and then once it’s been cooking for a while, add the rest).
Bake for 180° for approximately 50 minutes.
For reference, in the image above, this recipe was doubled and served about 6-8.