Nut free, dairy free, lactose free, soy free, gluten free, vegetarian, vegan option available
Granola/toasted muesli is one of the number one things that nut Allergians miss out on, given that it almost always contains nuts (and when it doesn’t, it is almost always going to have been made in highly nut present surroundings).
Here is a homemade option – my mum’s recipe – which you can feel comfortable eating and which still tastes super delicious.
Olive oil (or butter/margarine)
4 cups of rolled oats
4 tablespoons (or to taste) of honey/maple syrup
4 tablespoons (or to taste) of brown sugar
Toppings of your choice
- Heat frying pan with olive oil (or butter/margarine)
- Place rolled oats in the pan, sprinkling a liberal amount of olive oil (or butter/margarine) over the oats
- Fry the rolled oats on a high heat, continually mixing
- Once the oats are cooked, add very runny honey/maple syrup and brown sugar
- Mix and fry all together, adding toppings of your choice – I add pepitas, sunflower seeds and craisins
Note: if you add coconut, it will go soggy
Eat with yoghurt or milk, adding fruit of your choice (I recommend bananas and strawberries) or just eat it plain as a snack! I like it best when it’s eaten hot out the pan! Yu-um 🙂
The Allergian Abroad